Many have been wondering what is up with my biz – Crispina Design Workshop/ Fuchsia, Inc. So now that the transition is clear and finished I can speak freely about it.
To begin, Fuchsia, Inc., was owned solely by Nancy Fitzpatrick. Nancy is an old friend and long time supporter. She purchased the company I started in 1987, in 2003. The company, at that point, Crispina Designs, Inc. was having a hard time and she agreed to purchase it to help me out.
Five years into it, Nancy decided she wanted out and, with very little notice, let us, in the studio, know of her plans. My very first response was a huge sense of relief!!! As digestion of the changes Nancy’s decision prompted set in, I traveled a roller coaster of unknowns including the possibility of her passing the company on to another set of investors without any discussion with me. I waited and listened and found calm.
The decision was made on March 28 to stop production. I was asked not to communicate with the company’s customers based on not knowing whether or not production would begin again under new ownership. While that possibility is open for discussion, on the first of July 2008 Fuchsia, Inc. officially closed its doors. Nancy returned to me my name, the company database, and all the contents of the production studio here in our church on Melville Street in Pittsfield. With these changes, the wholesale part of the company was curtailed.
My next steps are:
• To have a more empowering voice in the environmental stewardship arena
• To make more money - never made that much before
• To work at most 40 hours weekly
• To maintain my online store, www.crispina.com and have an atelier, here, in our fine city of Pittsfield, MA, on North Street – our main street, where I would be open to the public for tours and workshops and have one of a kind work for sale.
• To continue the work I have done with large textile producing companies helping them develop products with their scrap that they can manufacture and market.
In the meantime I have been having the best summer – maybe ever – with free time to garden and think and spend time with my two little girls and my amazing 15-year-old son! Please know that I so appreciate all the support and well wishes that all of you out there, have sent my way. Stay in touch and keep the peace and harmony flowing.