CRISPINA is a brand developed and executed by Crispina ffrench, an enviromental and social activist and textile artist based in the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts, USA. It began when ffrench ran a wholesale recycling manufacturing company (called CRISPINA) producing her home furnishing and clothing designs for nearly 20 years using discarded clothing, (mostly wool sweaters) for raw material. In 1989, she was the first to introduce the idea of recycling used wool sweaters to the marketplace and successfully twisted the perception of used clothing into useful raw material. Today, Crispina ffrench makes and sells her work, here, on Etsy, and at very few select sales venues and events. She is available for public speaking, workshops, corporate retreats, and community building projects. Current work includes Scrap Projects with textile waste generating companies - in the US and Europe. Workshops are immersive, engaging, and enlightening. Speaking topics range from entrepreneurship, creating a life you love, and downsizing, to environmental awareness in the world of textiles. Community building activities include clothing drives and group 'Potholder Rug Weaves' to support like-minded not-for-profit organizations. To book Contact us. To attend any of our events check the Events page.
Wool/Cashmere blankets, sweaters, and accessories should be hand washed.
- Put the item/s you want to clean in a top loading washing machine and let the machine fill with warm water.
- Add the appropriate amount of laundry soap (whatever soap you normally use is fine).
- Turn the washing machine off before any agitation begins.
- Roll up yer sleeves and push all the fabric below the surface of the water gently and repeatedly.
- Turn the washing machine dial to the SPIN cycle. Close the top to let the water drain out and the spinning to commence.
- When the spinning has stopped, turn the dial to the RINSE cycle and let it fill again.
- Before agitation begins – turn the machine off and again push the fabric below the surface gently rinsing out the soap.
- Turn the dial to the SPIN cycle again and let that process happen.
- Once the spinning has stopped remove the items from the washer and lay them flat to dry.
- If you are drying a blanket it is fine to fold it and leave it on top of your washer/dryer. Refold it every 12 hours or so until it is completely dry.
- If you have a front-loading washing machine it is usually safe to wash wool/cashmere on a delicate or gentle cycle using warm water wash followed by a warm water rinse. Then lay your item/s flat to dry.
Picnic blankets, and cotton clothing/accessories are fine to machine wash on delicate cycle and machine dry.
Try to avoid Dry Cleaning as it uses all sorts of noxious chemicals and we certainly don’t want those next to your skin (or water table).
Thank you for your purchase!